26 April 2009

I'm Taking a Breaaaaak!

I can only focus on school work for just so long. So, here's what I did to give myself a break today between rain showers.


This is a Dahlia plant in the terra cotta pot. Those three little green mounds are perenial groundcovers called "blue star" som
ething or other. You can walk on them. Given the fact that just to the right of where this picture was taken is the fire pit and Miner and others gather around it and sometimes stand in the mulch, I am thinking this is what I am going to plant all around that area. Plus, it smells lovely. I also planted a daylilly, put a trailing petunia-type flower in my hanging baskets and potted three geraniums.


On the NW corner of the house, I was looking for something to go with the bleeding hearts (which, by the way, got their bloom on this weekend). This is a geranium that is hardy in this area, so it will come back every year, too.


Finally, the Asiatic lillies are coming up. Begonias always did well on my front porch in pots, so I thought I'd try planting them in front of the lillies.

Miner just hung out most of the day. He really wanted to eat the blood meal I put around all the new plants to keep the rabbits and squirrels away. Then we went for our walk. Now, just chilling in the living room, checking the internets and going to do some more reading.

3 comments:

erinjohn said...

looks like it was a theraputic weekend! love the flowers :) and miner looks like he's living the high-life on the deck!

Amy P said...

yeah...he and Shelby (beagle next door) were hunting rabbits the other evening. He now sometimes has an Elmer Fudd voice..."Be veh-wey, veh-wey qwiet..." Except he's kind of a big goof, so Shelby is in stealth mode sneaking up on them, and then here comes big dumb Miner running up and being noisy. :)

mama mia said...

so beautiful ....the flowers and the cute black doggie on the deck... lovely gardening, Amy....