Last night I went and saw Robert Earl Keen at The Capitol Theatre (The Cap) in Davenport. I was going expecting it to just be REK with an opening act. Instead I got one of the best shows I have ever seen.
Robert Earl Keen put together this tour, as he described as a way to spend time with two other TX singer-songwriters that he never gets to see because they are always on the road. The show started with REK doing 20 minutes by himself. I wish I could remember what he played in his set. I know there was "Merry Christmas from the Family" and "The Front Porch Song" but there were at least 3 or 4 others that are slipping my mind.
Bruce Robison was second. I am among those who didn't know who he is until last night. He wrote the song "Travelin' Soldier" that the Dixie Chicks sang (his sister-in-law is in the band). He also wrote "What Would Willie Do." He did about 20 minutes as well.
Then Todd Snider came out and played. I'd never heard of him either. He's a little nutty and I like it. He wrote "Beer Run." You know the one..."B double E double R U N, Beer Run" and one off his new album about Dock Ellis pitching a no-hitter on LSD in 1970. He sings a lot about pot...and had a riff about "even olympic gold medalists" do it. Best quote of the night: "8 gold medals. That's all I'm sayin'!"
Then all three of them came out and took turn and sung along with one another and laughed and that was just great. They did an encore, too...ending it all up with "The Road Goes On Forever."
I know I am not doing the show justice. But The Cap was an awesome venue. The sound was perfect and it was intimate without feeling claustrophobic. And I know it probably seats less than The Adler, but it was WAY more comfortable.
OH, and the greatest part? Our seats were way up in the back (but still on the floor, not the balcony) and just before the show, the guy who runs The Cap came and took us down front. We were 8 rows back, center stage. :) Perfect!
You can't really make it out, but that's (left to right) Bruce Robison, Robert Earl Keen and Todd Snider. That's what you get with a cell phone camera.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I heard REK sing What would Willie Do, and someone else did that one too, but can't remember, but love the song. Sounds like a glorious night!
Post a Comment